How to care for your Linens
If you have any questions regarding the care of your product, or would like more information please contact Customer Care at Nordic House on 01872 223220
- Always wash ALL linen items purchased at the same time before use.
- If you are washing a linen item for the first time, it can be soaked briefly in lukewarm water before the wash to avoid creasing.
- Regular washing is actually good for pure linen fabrics, as it softens and relaxes it, giving it a lovely 'lived-in' look. Linen fabric gets rid of dirt more easily than other textiles, and if rinsed thoroughly it comes up just as new every time.
- We normally recommend using 60°C setting, as higher temperatures tend to wear linen out faster.
- Before washing, separate dark, coloured linens from white or off-white linens.
- You can use stain remover on stains before laundering, but avoid using bleach since it weakens fibres and will affect the colour of dyed linens. It's worth noting that bleaching particles in conventional washing powder make natural linen colour fade. It is therefore best to use non-bio products.
- Try to rinse the stains immediately, when still fresh, and use natural stain soaps if needed. Cover red wine stains with sugar or salt instantly to avoid permanent staining. Sugar and salt are well-known for absorbing the moist; wipe the sugar off the tablecloth straight away.
- A conventional machine wash and fast spin is recommended. Use hot iron while the linens are still slightly damp.
- Wash linen articles separately from other materials, especially during the first wash, as natural fibres tend to loose lint (nap), which you don’t want ending up on your other items.
- To reduce creasing, load your washing machine half-way. This will also ensure linens get plenty of water while rinsing.
- Do not tumble dry your linens, as it may leave permanent creasing and it definitely shortens the life of linen. Statistically the percent of shrinkage in linen products is approximately 7% if dried naturally, but it increases to 10-15% if linens get a good spin in a hot tumble dryer.
- Straighten out the linen after the wash before hanging it on the washing line.
- And last but not least, please follow the instructions on the label attached to the linen item. They are there for a reason!
Believers in slow living and
the art of "just enough"
Copyright © 2020 Nordic House Ltd. All Rights Reserved | The Sight Centre, Newham Road, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2DP | VAT 925 9960 76